How to maintain your furniture?
September 29, 2017
Wooden furniture is a part of every Indian household.
Right from the hall to kitchen and bedroom to balconies, you will find at least one wooden item which may be a simple chair or an antique cabinet. Wooden furnitures are an asset handed down many generations.
Right from the hall to kitchen and bedroom to balconies, you will find at least one wooden item which may be a simple chair or an antique cabinet. Wood furnitures are an asset handed down many generations.
Even new wood furnishing is an investment for a lifetime. It is, therefore, important to maintain and care for them correctly. Wood being a natural item which reacts to changes as simple as weather, needs proper care apart from regular cleaning.
The tips below should help you to preserve the wooden furniture at home.
- Avoid direct sunlight as it causes fading.
- The heat from the sun can cause the wood to crack too.
- Arrange furniture away from radiators, heat and air vents or ac.
- Certain plastic materials react to wood and polish so it best to avoid placing plastic or rubber materials on your furniture.
- Periodically rotate accessories on furniture so they do not sit in the same spot all the time.
- Protect the furniture surface from hot dishes, bookends, flowerpots, and vases.
- Clean up spills immediately. Use a blotting rather than a wiping action.
- Alcohol, perfume, after-shave, and medications can cause severe finish damage.
- Use a protective pad when writing with a ballpoint pen on the furniture surface.
- Avoid placing furniture directly under windows.
The frequent dusting of your furniture will help maintain the luster. Use a dry, soft cotton cloth. Use coasters to prevent damage, and wipe up spills promptly.
As part of natural aging, your wood furniture will typically develop a beautiful patina and undergo color changes, depending on the wood. Cherry typically darkens while walnut tends to lighten with time. Pine, alder and red oak tend to turn a golden color as they age.
Cleaning & Polishing
- Cleaning the wood furniture regularly will help in maintaining the life and value of furniture.
- Dusting and cleaning remove the buildup of grease, lint, and dust that can get ground into or damage the finish.
- Clean using a soft lint free cotton cloth dampened with water or furniture polish following the pattern of the grain.
- Be gentle. Buff the cleaning cloth every now and then.
- Avoid strong detergent and chemical.
- Lemon oil is recommended for polishing wood that has an oil finish.
- For most other finishes paste waxes are often the best option.
- Follow these tips to keep your furniture shine like brand new for a long time.
- 4 Ways to Add Value to Your Modular Kitchen
- Kitchen Design Trends 2020 – Colors, Materials & Ideas
- Smart Office, Smarter Interiors
- How to decor your office reception on a budget
- Tips to Choose the perfect kitchen Flooring Tiles
- 5 Reasons why you should hire an interior designer?
- How to Keep your Bathroom Fresh? – 10 Ways
- How To Clean And Maintain Your Carpets?
- A Guide to Home Lighting
- How to maintain your furniture?
- 8 Vertical Garden Ideas for your Apartment
- 10 Tips to Vamp up Your Bedroom